Conducting telephone interview during survey

Sean Dougherty

Requester
Reaction score
I'm hoping you guys could provide some feedback for me. I've been a requester for awhile on MTurk and have run a few studies. I've always had great results.

I am testing my latest study by having people take it while on the telephone with me. This way I can fix anything that's hard to understand. I've conducted phone interviews with MTurk before, and while it's harder to recruit, I've spoken with some great participants in the past.

I think the survey task takes about 15-20 minutes to complete, and with some interview it might take 30 minutes at the longest. I've had the HIT available for about 5 hours today at $10 reward. There's a little 2 question qualifying survey... the main qualification is citizen science experience. I've had about 10 people qualify, but no one has accepted the HIT.

Any advice or thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Reactions: theturkscribe

A6_Foul_Out

I only use Organic TurkerView reviews
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
but no one has accepted the HIT.
You assigned the quals correctly, and published enough hits for the # of workers you've qualified?

Your qual tasks and your main $10 task did post correctly, so I don't see what the issue could be.

Workers might accept the hits but choose not to do them.

Reactions: Sean Dougherty

A6_Foul_Out

Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

or like this worker found out by opening the hit that it's a phone interview:

probably doesn't want to do a phone interview?

I'd publish more hits than total assignments you want completed and only approve the hits with completed interviews.

Reactions: Sean Dougherty

Sean Dougherty

Requester
Reaction score
or like this worker found out by opening the hit that it's a phone interview:

probably doesn't want to do a phone interview?

I'd publish more hits than total assignments you want completed and only approve the hits with completed interviews.
Thanks for the quick reply researching the HIT and its feedback. The quals appear to be working on my end, and I haven't gotten any emails, so I suspect it could be lack of interest in the telephone aspect. I'll put more qualifiers out there, and I'm planning on running it again tomorrow and see if weekend makes a difference. Thanks again!

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out

Sean Dougherty

Requester
Reaction score
I think I've pinned down that I'm in a vicious loop. I improved my qualification by asking people only to qualify if they will participate in the phone interview. That decreased the number of people trying to qualify, but the HIT is getting stuck locked up by people that accept but don't call, but also don't return the HIT. Even with 500 qualification HITs, those get stuck when people don't return those when they don't want to do the call.

A6_Foul_Out

Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
but the HIT is getting stuck locked up by people that accept but don't call, but also don't return the HIT.
lower the hit timer.

oh, so you did.
Even with 500 qualification HITs, those get stuck when people don't return those when they don't want to do the call.
explain possibly the pay for the phone call in the demo hit?

finding your demo (which you can't just BS understanding the concept because it would be easily outed in said phone interview) willing to do 30 min/$10 is prob more difficult than just a normal/general demo. Not impossible, just more difficult.

Last edited:

Sean Dougherty

Requester
Reaction score
lower the hit timer.

explain possibly the pay for the phone call in the demo hit?

finding your demo (which you can't just BS understanding the concept because it would be easily outed in said phone interview) willing to do 30 min/$10 is prob more difficult than just a normal/general demo. Not impossible, just more difficult.
Upping the qualifications and shrinking the times definitely helped. I also added a checkbox to agree to participate with the telephone call that makes it hard to miss. With that and a few other little tweaks I'm getting interviews back to back with some ideal participants.

Thanks for the suggestions, you've really helped me out on this project.