Get a Free Random Share of a Stock When Signing up with Robinhood

autonomnom

Reaction score
Other online brokerages like Scottrade and E*TRADE charge $7 to $10 per trade. But by making trading free, Robinhood has saved its users a half billion dollars in commissions on the $50 billion in transactions it’s processed. Bhatt beams, “We pulled a half-billion dollars out of the finance industry and redistributed it to average young Americans. That’s something I’m personally very proud about.”

Referralhood

Robinhood is also launching a new referral program today, designed to lure new users but also teach them how to use the app. Bhatt says the company was trying to figure out “how do we build a referral program where when the person signs up, they get a unit of our service for free, like with Uber you get a ride for free so you immediately know what Uber does.”

Now when one user refers someone else who signs up, both get one share of a randomly selected company from a set that includes Facebook, Apple, Rite Aid, Ford and General Electric. “Most people who don’t invest in the stock market, their biggest hangup is they don’t know which stock to buy their very first time,” Bhatt says. But he insists people should dive in to start learning.

Continued at: https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/26/robincorn/

Sign up with this link and we both get a free share: https://share.robinhood.com/michaek1074/

Update: I've finalized this process from start to finish and it works seamlessly. You get a random stock, it takes some time for the transfer to settle, but once it has you can sell it instantly at the current highest market price. Once the funds have settled you can transfer the funds directly back to the linked bank account of your choice.

Thanks guys and gals!

Last edited:

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
Here are a list of active member referral links. whoever's link you use gets a free share of a random stock from a pool
The rate fluctuates between about 2-10% for a stock over $50, 18+% for something between 10-50 (i think), and 80 for something around $10 (it says on the site but the jackpot stocks fluctuate in the app).
REFERRAL LINKS

If anyone would like some resources on investing and saving, I'd highly recommend http://www.investopedia.com/

You'll probably want to know things like limit orders, etc. in addition to PDT

Robinhood is a great way to learn the basics of stock trading without paying ridiculous fees per trade. This allows you to buy a single stock multiple times in a day if you wanted to without spending $20+. They make money by skimming the interest off your money between deposits and withdrawals, so you have to wait 3 business days each way. You can get Robinhood instant which bypasses this wait time, but please read up on their website before you do.

There are technically fees, but they are required by any broker. Wire transfers work differently too
https://support.robinhood.com/hc/en-us/articles/208650436-Fees-on-Robinhood-

ALSO, the app's charts are not 100% accurate all the time. There is a lag built in to the system so please use another charting app or service. That being said, if you place a limit buy for X.XX and it hits the price (but hasnt changed on robinhood) the order will still go through.

I should also add that most of the money I have in Robinhood is basically gambling money, stuff that wouldn't kill me if I lost it. I'd recommend staying away from penny stocks and 95% of the stuff mentioned on reddit.

My portfolio is basically tech etfs, ...one share of amazon, $T, and 30% moderate to severely volatile gamble stocks
update: my portfolio is now 1/4 amazon, 1/4 ETFs, 1/4 memestocks, 1/8 utilities, and 1/8 misc referral stocks

AGAIN, stay the fuck away from penny/memestocks unless you want to lose money or absolute know what you are doing.

Last edited:

Twirdman

Reaction score
Well I signed up. Here's to hoping you get something good.

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
I've only gotten shares of $S when my friends signed up

-_-

here's my link

Last edited:

sinon

Watashi ga Kita!
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought MturkCrowd could use a thread for Robinhood after discussion about it today.

For those who do not know, Robinhood is an application you can use on your phone. After you sign up and make a small deposit (can be as little as you want, I put in $5) you can purchase stocks for various companies.

The referral system works by providing both people/accounts with a stock. They currently give you a free, randomly chosen stock if you sign up under a referral.

I used YAHU @YAHU's referral and was given a stock for Staples.

Since no one has made a thread on this yet, I figured I would start one. If you're interested in stocks and using Robinhood, you can sign up for it easily. I also figured this thread could be used to discuss Robinhood and the stocks, for those who want to.

If you would like to get a free stock by using my referral, please use this link :)

Li0ness said:
Also note that you can only receive a value of $500 in referral rewards per user, so if someone maxes theirs out, post about it and edit your link out!
Side note: YAHU has a post below this one that links to lots of useful information! Make sure to give it a read-through before you begin investing.

Last edited:
Reactions: kryss and YAHU

sinon

Watashi ga Kita!
Contributor
Reaction score
If you're an Android user and want to dabble in penny stocks (stocks under 5 bucks) there is a decent app that gives you a list of the top gainers and losers from the previous day.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stockmarket.pennystocks&hl=en
Decided to try this out today. Very neat for seeing the stocks at specific price points etc. Do you have a favorite penny stock? I dabbled with FNBC last week but forgot to sell it before it crashed :tearsofjoy:

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
oops unloading my REITs. I 'forgot' that taxes on REITs' dividends suck

Reactions: MrTrentSD and sinon

sinon

Watashi ga Kita!
Contributor
Reaction score
oops unloading my REITs. I 'forgot' that taxes on REITs' dividends suck
I was totally into dividends en mass until I learned about the taxes lol

Reactions: YAHU

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
I was totally into dividends en mass until I learned about the taxes lol
the taxes are fine(ish) but reit ones are ...someone correct me if im wrong, but in a taxable account it's basically 30% of cap gains. regular dividends are taxed less iirc >.>

I just bought DIV and SDIV and have whatever small position of T still open.

I've been loading up on one yolo stock and have a few shares in different tech ETFs and then one share of amazon

Reactions: sinon

sinon

Watashi ga Kita!
Contributor
Reaction score
the taxes are fine(ish) but reit ones are ...someone correct me if im wrong, but in a taxable account it's basically 30% of cap gains. regular dividends are taxed less iirc >.>

I just bought DIV and SDIV and have whatever small position of T still open.

I've been loading up on one yolo stock and have a few shares in different tech ETFs and then one share of amazon
Ahh, that makes sense. Will need to keep that in mind when I'm investing lol.

I am also wanting to get into some ETFs soon. Not sure which but I have some ideas.

For regular stocks, right now I have SPLS, PLPM, and XRX. None of them are very big but I'm hoping to maybe get into F and some other more well-known stocks whenever I can add some more $ to the account :)

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
holy shit NVDA AH

Ahh, that makes sense. Will need to keep that in mind when I'm investing lol.

I am also wanting to get into some ETFs soon. Not sure which but I have some ideas.

For regular stocks, right now I have SPLS, PLPM, and XRX. None of them are very big but I'm hoping to maybe get into F and some other more well-known stocks whenever I can add some more $ to the account :)
I have some in ROBO and BOTZ. can always put some into QQQ.

johnson and johnson is a decent pick right now too (and all defense stocks)

sinon

Watashi ga Kita!
Contributor
Reaction score
holy shit NVDA AH

I have some in ROBO and BOTZ. can always put some into QQQ.

johnson and johnson is a decent pick right now too (and all defense stocks)
I was actually looking at ROBO and BOTZ this morning. :eek:

Hmmm will watch johnson and johnson and qqq. I need to get more funds into the account before buying the pricey ones but I appreciate all the recommendations :zen:

Reactions: YAHU