Rep Present Prolific Academic

Lenna15

Survey Turtle
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry for the hassle with getting you sorted with your phone verification clickhappier @clickhappier. We have occasional problems due to international texts. I think we've resolved the issue for you but if not please ping us again at support@prolific.ac and we'll make sure to sort it.

Just so you know there's no "sweet spot" for cashing out. If it's over £20 the only fee is PayPal's currency conversion this is a little annoying (for us too) but you get a pretty good bang for your buck when converting from £ to $. The issue Lenna15 @Lenna15 mentioned was caused by a mistake by us.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Hooray, Prolific found our forum! :) Thank you for clarifying. I hope it's okay that I quoted the email; I just wanted to make it clear to everyone how awesome and responsive your team is!

Curious_Yellow

Robotech Master
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry for the hassle with getting you sorted with your phone verification clickhappier @clickhappier. We have occasional problems due to international texts. I think we've resolved the issue for you but if not please ping us again at support@prolific.ac and we'll make sure to sort it.

Just so you know there's no "sweet spot" for cashing out. If it's over £20 the only fee is PayPal's currency conversion this is a little annoying (for us too) but you get a pretty good bang for your buck when converting from £ to $. The issue Lenna15 @Lenna15 mentioned was caused by a mistake by us.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Hello, hopefully you're watching this thread. I'm having the same problem clickhappier was; I can't seem to input my phone number for SMS verification in a way that the field will accept. I tried to contact support about it a couple of days ago but haven't heard back aside from the automated message saying that someone will contact me soon. I live in the US.

Itsmee

Condor
Contributor
Reaction score
Ist time I personally have seen a bonus from Prolific.

Congratulations!

The researcher Robert Böhm has awarded you a bonus.

Your account has been credited by £1.87.

ivyleaf

Contributor
Reaction score
I am also unable to verify my phone, I have emailed a few times but didn't get anywhere.

Lenna15

Survey Turtle
Reaction score
Too bad about the pound's value dropping today. I cashed out a few days before the Brexit vote, but of course a bunch of long-awaited approvals came right after I got my payout. D'oh! :banghead: Planning to hang onto my earnings for a good while now to see where its value is after the initial panic settles down.

On another note, I really can't say enough positive things about Prolific's support team. There might be some annoying server issues here and there (though that's gotten better lately), but man, they've been so helpful to me. I had my second rejection and second rejection reversal recently. A researcher had rejected me for going too slowly on a long study (sigh, OCD and I found it challenging) without giving any sort of warning that they'd hand out rejections based on average completion times. I got in touch with both the researcher and Prolific. The support team spoke to the researcher, got him to reconsider, and approved/paid me for my work. They also helped me with a similar situation almost a year ago. Be sure to send in a ticket if you ever feel you're unfairly rejected, because they really do give a you-know-what about the worker side. :love:

Reactions: theturkscribe

CatWhiskers

Looking In Your Fridge
Reaction score
I've been trying to get someone to verify me for a year now. I was told it could be done manually, someone started the process, and then it was like someone else took over in the middle of it and didn't want to finish so said, "can't do it".

Not everyone has a cell phone.

sandyriver

Reaction score
Personally, I'm very happy to have found Prolific. I have not been accepted into mturk yet so this keeps me going. I am also glad that there is an active Prolific thread over here. The one in reddit seems to be inactive.
can anyone please tell me why I get surveys only when there is only 1 spot available? it can be a survey with 10 total spots or 300, I refresh my page regularly when I am near the computer, especially when I am checking mail or doing other surveys.
Even that one spot, by the time I click it, it vanishes into study full. I don't know how much sooner I can click.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Personally, I'm very happy to have found Prolific. I have not been accepted into mturk yet so this keeps me going. I am also glad that there is an active Prolific thread over here. The one in reddit seems to be inactive.
can anyone please tell me why I get surveys only when there is only 1 spot available? it can be a survey with 10 total spots or 300, I refresh my page regularly when I am near the computer, especially when I am checking mail or doing other surveys.
Even that one spot, by the time I click it, it vanishes into study full. I don't know how much sooner I can click.
I love Prolific as the studies tend to pay better than MTurk. The studies just go that quickly over there though. I have noticed that they tend to come back throughout the day just as you will see at MTurk. I use a page refresher to alert me when new studies are available and click as fast as I can to catch them. Some days I get several and some none.

Last edited:

sandyriver

Reaction score
thanks for replying coffeeowl. Is there a script to use for prolific like mturk. Do people use PANDA for this?

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
thanks for replying coffeeowl. Is there a script to use for prolific like mturk. Do people use PANDA for this?
No PandA's. No scripts needed but I use the Distill Chrome extension to monitor the Studies page to get alerts when I have a new study available and try to catch them quickly as mentioned before. Be sure to do them as soon as you catch them. No queue there either. Much simpler than MTurk. :)

Last edited:

sandyriver

Reaction score
No PandA's. No scripts needed but I use the Distill Chrome extension to monitor the Studies page to get alerts when I have a new study available and try to catch them quickly as mentioned before. Be sure to do them as soon as you catch them. No queue there either. Much simpler than MTurk. :)
tks coffeeowl. using reload every for firefox. will try distill for chrome.

Reactions: coffeeowl

Stealthy714

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know if there is any way to hide a study that is available to me on prolific? This poor lady has had this study up for a few days and I do not want to do it. I also use an auto refresh so every time I see a (1) I keep forgetting it's THAT ONE survey I don't want to do lol. OMG as I am typing this it finally disappeared after three days.

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
just signed up, figured i could check up on it every now and then. already qualified for one study and it went smoothly :sunglasses:

phusia

I am a meat popcicle.
Reaction score
Good to know, I'll give it a try soon. Thanks for joining MTC and responding! :wave: Hope to continue seeing you around.

PS: What is the preferred format to enter a US phone number into your site, for clarification?
In case anyone in the future is wondering: I just verified my (US) phone number with +0015555555 (where the 5's would be my national phone number).

Reactions: clickhappier

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
In case anyone in the future is wondering: I just verified my (US) phone number with +0015555555 (where the 5's would be my national phone number).
Finally someone answers that, lol, thanks. :)
That's not enough digits, though... I'm guessing you mean more like +0015554443333 (using different digits for readability)?

Reactions: phusia

phusia

I am a meat popcicle.
Reaction score
Finally someone answers that, lol, thanks. :)
That's not enough digits, though... I'm guessing you mean more like +0015554443333 (using different digits for readability)?
Whoops! Got lost in the 5's, haha. Yes, basically add "+001" to the front of your national number and you're set.

Reactions: clickhappier

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
Bumping this so others see (this isn't just a way for me to get referrals). As far as taking surveys goes, Prolific is the best of the best aside from Turk. Screen-out rates are incredibly low, as screeners aren't that much of a thing on the platform. I do have a problem that occurs on a daily basis though - sometimes there will be a study available according to the title in the tab, but the page is blank like it is when there aren't any studies for you to do, except that message isn't there. Just a white page.

I found the registration process and whatnot very straightforward and I didn't have the problems people did earlier on. Personally, I can make 30 pounds or more per month, not great, but I don't use a page monitor or whatnot. I'd recommend this to anyone, but the blank white page problem is very annoying.

phusia

I am a meat popcicle.
Reaction score
Bumping this so others see (this isn't just a way for me to get referrals). As far as taking surveys goes, Prolific is the best of the best aside from Turk. Screen-out rates are incredibly low, as screeners aren't that much of a thing on the platform. I do have a problem that occurs on a daily basis though - sometimes there will be a study available according to the title in the tab, but the page is blank like it is when there aren't any studies for you to do, except that message isn't there. Just a white page.

I found the registration process and whatnot very straightforward and I didn't have the problems people did earlier on. Personally, I can make 30 pounds or more per month, not great, but I don't use a page monitor or whatnot. I'd recommend this to anyone, but the blank white page problem is very annoying.
wat. I thought I was doing well--I just made ~20 pounds in 3+ weeks, but I am using a page monitor (granted, it's not running all the time). How can you catch so many of these without using one? Even with it running every 30 seconds, I'm too slow for them pretty often. :cry:

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
wat. I thought I was doing well--I just made ~20 pounds in 3+ weeks, but I am using a page monitor (granted, it's not running all the time). How can you catch so many of these without using one? Even with it running every 30 seconds, I'm too slow for them pretty often. :cry:
I appear to be in the sweet spot, demographic wise. On weekends there's multiple 3 pound and up studies to do, but it's one of those 'be there when it posts' situations.

Reactions: phusia