Amazon Updated Amazon Mechanical Turk Terms — What’s Changed

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score

jan

Reaction score
:cautious:

We are generally OK with you using scripts and automation tools to help you search and preview Human Intelligence Tasks ("HITs") more efficiently on the MTurk website, as long as those scripts and automation tools (1) do not serve as a substitute for your human judgment to complete work, (2) do not extract and store data from the MTurk website, and (3) do not disrupt or impair the operation of the website or the integrity of the marketplace (e.g., scripts and automation tools that call MTurk continuously and at high frequency aren't OK). As a result, we'll have to make tough calls from time to time when we notice unusual account activity resulting from a particular script or automation tool. Please remember that you are responsible for any script or automation tool that you use with MTurk, and your use of a script or automation tool is at your own risk.

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
A few years ago, I'm pretty sure there was some kind of scare regarding all the tools we use for mTurk. I don't even remember the details of it now. Hopefully, this will turn out to be much ado about nothing.

K'Lee

The Royal Taster
Contributor
Reaction score
So are they saying we can use things like PC but not scripts that help while doing the hit?

Reactions: <Gucci>

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I hope they get rid of PREs and throttling now since banning people makes those useless
"Due to the excess of unused PRE's we have now due to people not running scripts anymore, we have made improvements at Mturk so each worker gets triple the amount of PRE's they did before"

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the people who write the TOS are members of the legal team of Amazon and didn't even contact the coders to find out if they implemented things like PREs and Throttling so as far as they know its a free for all.

stuffalleysays

I was here
Contributor
Reaction score
From the blog post here: https://blog.mturk.com/updated-amazon-mechanical-turk-terms-whats-changed-b8190a663f01

"As part of our efforts to improve Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) for Requesters and Workers alike, we took a fresh look at our legal terms. Today we’ve posted updates to our Participation Agreement, Acceptable Use Policy, and Privacy Notice. These updates will help us keep improving MTurk, and hopefully make it easier for you to understand how the marketplace works."
Thanks, I take it that hit database is a real no go then.

stuffalleysays

I was here
Contributor
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer but the bit that says "do not extract and store data from the MTurk website" makes me think any kind of database script is not going to be okay.
my thought as well, guess going down to zero script is the real aim. I know it stated scripts to find hits were alright, but those are the scripts that send repeated requests.

stuffalleysays

I was here
Contributor
Reaction score
That's my takeaway and really the thing that bothers me the most.
Right, isn't that the script that tells me what I have completed already? preventing us from doing a hit more than once.

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe mturk has reached out to script creators and database creators like turkopticon so hopefully they still have an open line of communication. That was between actual mturk folks though probably not the legal team.