TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

SpookyMyers

"Enjoy the time you have in the meat puppet."
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been thinking of going back to school. I quit my job as a tech writer and trainer 14 years ago when I had my first son. The thought of going to class at almost 40 is scary though. Anyone else gone back at such a ripe old age and if so, what did you do? I'd actually love to go to law school but I'd be 50 by the time I was ready to actually practice. RN is another option, but I do hate people so I'd need to find a special kind of job - a friend of mine got her RN and works from home for Humana basically answering phone calls - An advice nurse, would be the non-fancy name, I guess, or lab work. She gets paid very well. What I really want to do, where my passion lies, is veterinary work - wildlife rehab or exotics in particular. I got a taste of it when I volunteered at a raptor rehab center and got to assist the vet with surgery, and give meds, do wing wraps, etc. But there's no money there, that's more of a hobby when the kids are grown, I think. Anyway, just something I've been mulling over the last year or so but not quite brave enough to take the plunge yet. EDIT: And for the sake of just making all the cash I can until retirement, I thought about IT. My husband makes a really good living doing it, I can't imagine if we doubled our income.

Last edited:

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Reactions: Peachy and Pleco

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I've been thinking of going back to school. I quit my job as a tech writer and trainer 14 years ago when I had my first son. The thought of going to class at almost 40 is scary though. Anyone else gone back at such a ripe old age and if so, what did you do? I'd actually love to go to law school but I'd be 50 by the time I was ready to actually practice. RN is another option, but I do hate people so I'd need to find a special kind of job - a friend of mine got her RN and works from home for Humana basically answering phone calls - An advice nurse, would be the non-fancy name, I guess, or lab work. She gets paid very well. What I really want to do, where my passion lies, is veterinary work - wildlife rehab or exotics in particular. I got a taste of it when I volunteered at a raptor rehab center and got to assist the vet with surgery, and give meds, do wing wraps, etc. But there's no money there, that's more of a hobby when the kids are grown, I think. Anyway, just something I've been mulling over the last year or so but not quite brave enough to take the plunge yet. EDIT: And for the sake of just making all the cash I can until retirement, I thought about IT. My husband makes a really good living doing it, I can't imagine if we doubled our income.

Krikket

YouTube Connoisseur
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
You won't regret it. Do it.
Don't do it for the income, don't not do it for the self-consciousness

Last edited:

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I swear you're one of my favorite husbands Pleco @Pleco.
Thanks bby I understand that one rat is not enough for you and that's why you're married to a bunch of different people. That's not emasculating and humiliating at all, I'm super cool with it.

Bigbore

Reaction score
My mom went back to school when she was 48 to get an MBA She was the oldest in her classes but she didnt give af, she finished suma cum laude, just go and kick ass she has no regrets and is glad she did it. I'd say go for it.

Yatagarasu

all up in the videos, all on the records, dancin'
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
When I was in school my classes were always very mixed as far as age. Plenty of older students. If you really want to do this and have the means to do so, I say go for it!

SpookyMyers

"Enjoy the time you have in the meat puppet."
Contributor
Reaction score
My mom went back to school when she was 48 to get an MBA She was the oldest in her classes but she didnt give af, she finished suma cum laude, just go and kick ass she has no regrets and is glad she did it. I'd say go for it.
I definitely think I'm better equipped to take school seriously now at 39 than I was at 18. I went to college for 3 years and dropped out because I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up. Kudos to your mom!

Reactions: Bigbore and Pippa

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score

I don't think it's too late for you at all, and I am serious. I think no matter your age that you have purpose and passions. If Veterinary work is what you want start making a way. It might just mean volunteering to begin with and then going from there.

Both of my kids are now grown now and I'm 40. I have my whole life ahead of me and in many ways I am trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

I would love to be a counselor but honestly I don't want to go back to school so I just give my unsolicited advice whenever I get the chance. :p

Reactions: SpookyMyers

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks bby I understand that one rat is not enough for you and that's why you're married to a bunch of different people. That's not emasculating and humiliating at all, I'm super cool with it.
that's what he tells himself to stop himself from completely breaking down :rain:

Reactions: Pleco

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score
As a mom this makes me so happy of how supportive and proud of her you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.