Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: questions about amazon categories - 5 min - $0.5 | Accept
Requester: igallo [AAU3UA74I5Z1T] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$22.16] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=1-3 days] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: questions about amazon categories - 5 min - $0.5
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 97; Location EqualTo US

HIT Time: 2.5 mins taking my time.

Reactions: TSolo315

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Just did a survey and didn't get a code at the bottom. Do I just contact requester and tell them that?
You can put "No code given" in the box and submit. Then contact the requester. They might still reject it however but usually that works.

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
99% of the time if a completed survey doesn't give a code it's just a technical error. Standard advice is to submit with your WorkerID so the HIT doesn't expire and contact the requester. I've only been bitten once doing that out of hundreds of broken surveys.
jakey baby @the tall green one et all

libbyrea

Reaction score
Do i return the HIT too? it has a 10 minute limit on it and itll expire in 4 mins.
I always email the requester and let them know what happened, and give them my email and MTurk ID. They usually email me back

jakey baby

Certified Muppet
Reaction score
It would have expired before anyone responded. I contacted, but returned the hit.

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Just did a survey and didn't get a code at the bottom. Do I just contact requester and tell them that?
My feedback is consistent with what everyone else has told you, but with a couple of additional points worth mentioning...

It's typically going to be fine if you complete the survey and submit the HIT using only your worker ID, then promptly contact the requester after submitting the HIT (although it's not always necessary to email the requester). I think I've done this now at least 200 times and never had a problem. Even if the HIT clearly states "Do not submit your worker ID" I've done it anyway and the HITs have always approved.

There are 2 ways you can be even more certain that it won't be an issue to submit your worker ID.
  1. If at any point during the survey itself you were asked to input your worker ID, then your golden. The requesters can easily verify that the HIT submitted corresponds to a completed survey. In this case, I wouldn't even bother messaging the requester.
  2. Look at the URL of the survey. Within the long string of numbers and letters, look for your worker ID, and if you see it they you are okay. Many new workers don't realize this, but the link to the survey (that you click on in the HIT window) often opens the survey and appends your worker ID to the URL of the survey, which allows the requester for track worker IDs.
Finally, just be cautious... Some requesters add the completion code to the second to last page in an inconspicuous place. On surveys, I've gotten in the habit of copying/pasting the debriefing page contents into a Word doc before I click the next button just in case I overlook a survey code.

Last edited:

Vondabar

Reaction score
Good Saturday afternoon to all. I have a question, please. On that Lisa Fazio one where they send you messages each day, I distinctly remember the instructions saying to respond to each one individually but in the first message there were three headlines. How does one separate those and send a separate reply to each. I mean technically I have no idea how one does that with a three part message. Or, how she wants it done.

If anyone knows I would be grateful for the help; if not I can use that email she gave us. I am not sure she will be able to reply before the 24 hour window is up so I thought it best to ask here first.

Okay, thank you much.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
My feedback is consistent with what everyone else has told you, but with a couple of additional points worth mentioning...

It's typically going to be fine if you complete the survey and submit the HIT using only your worker ID, then promptly contact the requester after submitting the HIT (although it's not always necessary to email the requester). I think I've done this now at least 200 times and never had a problem. Even if the HIT clearly states "Do not submit your worker ID" I've done it anyway and the HITs have always approved.

There are 2 ways you can be even more certain that it won't be an issue to submit your worker ID.
  1. If at any point during the survey itself you were asked to input your worker ID, then your golden. The requesters can easily verify that the HIT submitted corresponds to a completed survey. In this case, I wouldn't even bother messaging the requester.
  2. Look at the URL of the survey. Within the long string of numbers and letters, look for your worker ID, and if you see it they you are okay. Many new workers don't realize this, but the link to the survey (that you click on in the HIT window) often opens the survey and appends your worker ID to the URL of the survey, which allows the requester for track worker IDs.
Finally, just be cautious... Some requesters add the completion code to the second to last page in an inconspicuous place. On surveys, I've gotten in the habit of copying/pasting the debriefing page contents into a Word doc before I click the next button just in case I overlook a survey code.
Adding your worker ID actually isn't even really necessary because it's already included with your submission, no matter what you put in the code box. Like the data they receive just ends up looking like this:

I've always just put something like "no code" and maybe a screenshot of the completion page, and that has always worked well too. I think they generally figure it out anyway when everyone starts emailing them about it.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Study on describing certain situations | Accept
Requester: Laboratorium KogniLab [A2MXWR12U1D4RW] Contact
TV: Hrly=$10.95 | Pay=Fair | Approval=~24 hrs | Comm=Unrated | Rej=0 | Blk=0
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.45
Duration: 30:00
Available: 1
Description: Academic research (short survey)
Qualifications: Location In AU, GB, US; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 90; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 50
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.13

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
How strange that by your simple like of my comment, Aveline, I feel better about not knowing something. You are indeed a supportive, kind administrator :wave:
Ha, I'm sorry I can't offer more, but I have no experience with those HITs.

Reactions: Vondabar
Status
Not open for further replies.