10/21 - Mustgo Monday!

Would you be interested in a MTC secret santa this year?

• Yes

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious as to your thoughts on TV reviews of "fastest time" on some of these surveys. Seems some people reviewing can get surveys done in half the time or less than the average turker. Do you think this is do to automation scripts, poor time tracking (misuse of the pause hourly button), or what?

Obviously I do not want to partake in anything unethical, but I feel like I might be missing out on some vital time saving tips here.

Maybe I'm just a slow reader.
I just finished a survey that the R said would take an hour: it took me an hour. It took another Turker 17 minutes.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Quick survey about brands | Accept
Requester: research-b [A16C9E7DVXREJ0] Contact
TV: Hrly=$21.11 | Pay=Generous | Approval=~24 hrs | Comm=Unrated | Rej=0 | Blk=0
TO: Pay=4.20 | Fast=4.50 | Comm=1.00 | Fair=5.00 | Reviews=18 | ToS=0
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: -
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 90

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I'm curious as to your thoughts on TV reviews of "fastest time" on some of these surveys. Seems some people reviewing can get surveys done in half the time or less than the average turker. Do you think this is do to automation scripts, poor time tracking (misuse of the pause hourly button), or what?

Obviously I do not want to partake in anything unethical, but I feel like I might be missing out on some vital time saving tips here.

I'm usually one of the faster times, but not the fastest on TV by any means. I am a really fast reader, I've seen most of the survey questions a thousand times, and I've got my demographics macro'd into my mouse and keyboard (my age, state, gender, etc) which shaves off a few seconds per HIT which can really add up.

Like JenniLeigh @JenniLeigh said, it's not a race. I've been rejected several times for being "too fast" so there's silver linings to being a "careful" reader.

TV also separates times into categories; I'm in the second to fastest. So you can find your column and compare your times to people that are closest to your speed. For me; I'm generally faster than the single average so I don't really trust it, either... but for the reverse reason :p

ETA: SANITY > speed, money, and all else.

Last edited:

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I'm usually one of the faster times, but not the fastest on TV by any means. I am a really fast reader, I've seen most of the survey questions a thousand times, and I've got my demographics macro'd into my mouse and keyboard (my age, state, gender, etc) which shaves off a few seconds per HIT which can really add up.

Like JenniLeigh @JenniLeigh said, it's not a race. I've been rejected several times for being "too fast" so there's silver linings to being a "careful" reader.

TV also separates times into categories; I'm in the second to fastest. So you can find your column and compare your times to people that are closest to your speed. For me; I'm generally faster than the single average so I don't really trust it, either... but for the reverse reason :p

What's sanity?

afallstarxfall

Spoonfeeder
Social Butterfly
Very Versatile
Reaction score
Title: Ransomware -- Interaction Experiment (30~45 minutes) + Bonuses | Accept
Requester: Experiment [A3PL20AJQQ0HI] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$3.74] [Pay=Underpaid] [Approval=Unrated] [Comm=Unacceptable] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=1.00] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=4.67] [Reviews=12] [ToS=0]
Reward: 1.50
Description: To study the human decision making process when interacting with other human. Estimated Time: approx 45 minutes
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US; Adult Content Qualification EqualTo 1

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Academic Political Study (~15 minutes and up to $1 bonus for qualified workers) | Accept
Requester: giovanna [A3UCUVCUYO1XUJ] Contact
TV: Hrly=$26.74 | Pay=Good | Approval=1-3 days | Comm=Unrated | Rej=0 | Blk=0
TO: Pay=5.00 | Fast=5.00 | Comm=0.00 | Fair=5.00 | Reviews=1 | ToS=0
Reward: 0.10
Description: For this HIT, you will be asked to complete a 15 minute survey, which will include watching a video and some brief reading.
Qualifications: Prev_Worker DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 97; Location EqualTo US
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.11

HelloHello

Reaction score
I can't complain about today - any day when I get a Survey Comet AND a User Testing is a good day! (Oh, and I got scheduled for a Live Interview on Friday too!)

Veltora Otew

Got Milk!
Reaction score

You and your times are still an inspiration I would say :)

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's probably a mix of all of those things, depending on who it is. Some people read very fast, and I imagine that accounts for a lot of them. I would imagine misuse of the pause hourly button might also be a common issue. I wouldn't put it past some people to be using automation scripts either. There was someone that tried posting a script on here a couple years ago that automated survey responses based on past responses. We ended up banning that person over it because that is really, really not something that people should be using (all it does is invalidate the requester's data). But I wouldn't be surprised if there are some that are using stuff like that.
"There was someone that tried posting a script on here a couple years ago..." That would negate the very purpose for our being here, the nit.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
HIT Time: 45 secs for me.

Title: Quick survey about brandsAccept
Requester: research-b [A16C9E7DVXREJ0] Contact
TV: $20.45/hr TO: 3.89
Reward: $0.50
Duration: 01:00:00
Available: 2
Description: -
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 90

Reactions: HelloHello

Markb

Reaction score

I consider myself pretty faster than average. I tend to ignore the faster time as I find them unreliable. Don't want to accuse anyone on TV of lying or exaggerating times just basing it off my own experience and from conversations I've had with others. I will say if you ever get a timed survey where you can only advance at a certain pace, pay attention to your time and the TV reviews, it's pretty telling.

desert13

Reaction score
This has absolutely nothing to do with a specific HIT, just a general observation....
Do you ever wonder if there are really people out there that feel passion and affection for their appliances or other inanimate objects and think that these things are human like and seem to have intention and free will? Because if I was a researcher and someone told me that their toaster had a personality and they felt very passionate about it, I would have some serious follow up questions for that person that have nothing to do with marketing...

alk69

Reaction score
This has absolutely nothing to do with a specific HIT, just a general observation....
Do you ever wonder if there are really people out there that feel passion and affection for their appliances or other inanimate objects and think that these things are human like and seem to have intention and free will? Because if I was a researcher and someone told me that their toaster had a personality and they felt very passionate about it, I would have some serious follow up questions for that person that have nothing to do with marketing...
People name their cars...a name indicates intentions, feelings, passions, etc. I never had a toaster I wanted to name. But I did have one I called all sorts 'o things. None of them nice.....it burned my toast on purpose. I know it!

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score

You also obviously have a HEAD on your shoulders! Macros. MACROS!!! why haven't *I* thought of that?!?!?!
:paddle: :shoot: :cliff:

Reactions: savvy and freakania

alk69

Reaction score
Fair enough. However if I EVER get the feeling my toaster or stove has intentions they are going in the damn garbage.
Be careful! If it finds out what you're gonna do to it......well, I wouldn't want to be you....Just think, the entire kitchen mutiny's and throws you overboard....er..or outside.

• Haha
Reactions: desert13
Status
Not open for further replies.